Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
A Mediterranean twist on the classic stuffed pepper.
- 2 Green Peppers Sliced in half lengthwise; Seeds and membranes removed
- 1 Lb Ground Beef Lean
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Cup Zucchini Diced
- 15 Oz Petite Diced Tomatoes Low sodium
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Kalamata Olives
- 8 Oz Tomato Sauce Low sodium
- 1.5 Cups Orzo Pasta Al Dente
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese Diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dry Vermouth or Dry White Wine
- 28 Oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tsp Fennel Seeeds Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large sauté pan, heat ground beef and onions until fully cooked. Using a fork, break down the meat into a smaller texture. Drain pan.
- Add in zucchini and diced tomatoes. Cook down for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and orzo pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in feta.
- in a separate sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to make the sauce for the peppers. Add garlic and heat until golden, being careful not to burn.
- Add vermouth/white wine, crushed tomatoes, fennel seeds, and oregano. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Take each pepper and fill with ¼ of the ground meat filling, mounding them high. Place in shallow baking dish and pour crushed tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover baking pan with aluminum foil and place in oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrate: 72g
Dietary Fiber: 11g