Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs with Brown Rice
Try this Kabob with brown rice recipe for an easy, delicious and filling meal.
- 6.5-7.5 oz Boneless Chicken Breast Per skewer
- 1 Jar of your favorite reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce/marinade
- 1 Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red Pepper 1/2 pepper per skewer
- Cremini Mushrooms 2 pieces per skewer
- Red Onion 4 pieces per skewer
- 4 Metal Skewers Approximately 12” long
- 1 cup Brown Rice Rinsed in cold water; Drained
- 2 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Butter Unsalted
- 1/2 cup White Onion Medium-sized; Finely diced
- 1 Small Bouquet Garni Parsley Thyme, Bay Leaf, Oregano
- 2 cups Chicken and/or Vegetable Stock Low Sodium
- 4 oz Mushrooms Finely diced
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: Trim fat from chicken breast. Split lengthwise and cut cubes of approximately 1 to 1 ½ inches each. Reserve in a small bowl.
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: Add ½ cup teriyaki marinade to diced/cubed chicken breast. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: Clean whole mushrooms, cut stems off, wash, drain and dry.
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: Cut all peppers and red onions into 1 – 1 ½ inch squares.
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: When all meat and vegetables are cut, then marinate all the ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. Refrigerate before skewering pepper, onion, chicken and so on until all 4 pieces of chicken are well alternated with the vegetables.
- Chicken Breast Kabobs: Cover and reserve refrigerated.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: In a small (2 qt) sauce pot, add the following… virgin olive oil, unsalted butter, finely diced white onion and finely minced garlic cloves.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Over low heat, gently “Sweat Sauté” everything for approximately 10 minutes till translucent.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Add 1 cup brown rice and stir well in order to coat all the grains with the olive oil and onion.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Add 2 cups (total) of low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Add the small bouquet garni.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Add seasonings as follow: ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp celery salt, ½ tsp low-sodium Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Gently bring to simmer, then lower heat to the lowest level possible.
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: Cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook approximately 60 – 75 minutes (a low-temp oven such as 275° would also work).
- Long-grain Brown Rice Pilaf: When cooked, fluff up with a fork before serving. Remove bouquet garni first.