Whole Roasted Chicken
A savory, roasted chicken.
- 1 Whole Chicken 4 to 5 pounds
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper To tatse
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix butter, lemon juice, thyme and rosemary together to form a compound butter.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry (be sure to remove neck and giblets from body cavity). Using your fingertips, carefully separate the skin from the breast meat forming pockets under the skin.
- Spread butter mixture under the skin and over the top of the breast meat. Season the outside with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Place chicken in oven with body cavity facing the back of the oven to ensure the legs and thighs are in the hottest part of the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes and then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for an additional 1 to 1 ¼ hours or until thermometer placed in thigh meat reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit. If skins begins to become brown during cooking, tent bird with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
Total Fat: 21g
Saturated Fat: 7.8g