Chicken Caldo Verde, Portuguese Potato and Kale Soup
This soup is nutritionally packed! It is thick, rich and delicious. I added un-traditional ingredients like chicken and chickpeas to provide further amounts of protein.
Add grated parmesan cheese to your soup right before you eat it.
Serve with a salad on the side to increase vegetable intake.
If you prefer a bit of spice, a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce, or a pinch of cayenne can be added.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 4 oz Linguica Sausgage Diced
- 4 oz Chicken Breast Cooked; Diced; Optional
- 4 cups Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 14 oz Chickpeas Canned; Drained; Rinsed
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- Using 6 quart sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion.
- Sweat onions until translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and sweat until aroma develops (about 30 seconds).
- Add sausage and cook with onions and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Grate potatoes with a cheese grater and add to soup, stir often until it comes to a simmer. Add chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and chickpeas, bring to simmer again. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking with salt and pepper.