Free Range Chicken Borsch Potage
A delicious chicken dish all will enjoy!
- 1 qt Chicken Stock Low sodium
- 11 oz V8 Juice Low sodium
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock Low sodium
- 2 cups Whole Chicken Legs Cooked; Shredded
- 4 Raw Beets Medium-sized
- 1 cup Red Cabbage Soaked with cider vinegar; Finely sliced and macerated
- 1/2 cup Leek Finely minced
- 1/2 cup Celeriac Root Finely julienned
- 1/2 cup Onion Diced
- 1/2 cup Celery Finely sliced
- 1/2 cup Parsnips Finely sliced
- 1/2 cup Carrots Finely shredded
- 1/2 oz Fresh Ginger Finely minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Finely minced
- 2 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch As needed; Diluted with 4 tbsp of cold water
- Combine chicken carcass, vegetable stock and V8 Juice.
- Add chicken legs, beets, aromatics – bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 35-45 minutes, remove legs and allow to cool, covered.
- Continue gentle simmering to almost cooked beets.
- Remove the beets, rinse in cold water, remove peel.
- Soak sliced red cabbage with cider vinegar, bring to simmer.
- Remove skin, bones and fat from chicken legs.
- Cut leg meat into one inch thick and shred. Save in refrigerator.
- Grate peeled beets with a regular cheese grater.
- Add olive oil into a 2 or 3 qt soup pot and heat.
- Add all raw vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, parsnips, ginger, garlic…) except red cabbage.
- “Sweat” gently over moderate heat to remove most of the acidity without browning. 15-20 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with corn starch diluted in water. Add little at a time and check consistency.
- Check and adjust seasonings as needed. Go slow; it is always easier to add than it is to remove excess.
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 1.6g
Total Carbohydrate: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 4g