Peanut, Farro and Mushroom Burgers
This recipe is chock full of healthy calories, fiber, potassium and plant-based protein. You can prepare ahead of time and freeze. Pull one out as you desire!
Takes . Serves 8.
- 3/4 cup Farro, uncooked
- 1 lb Sweet potatoes
- 1 sprig Fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig Fresh thyme
- 6 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 3/4 cup Peanuts, chopped
- 1 lb Mushroom caps, brown, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 each Shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dry white wine (or water)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup Panko crumbs, whole wheat
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the farro, return to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low, cooking until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside.
- While the farro cooks, boil the potatoes. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, add the sweet potatoes, return to a boil, and cook until a paring knife easily slips into the center of the largest potato, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. Once the potatoes are cool, peel and place in a large bowl.
- Remove the needles and leaves from the rosemary and thyme branches, and place in a large skillet along with the black pepper and 6 tbsp of olive oil. Warm the olive oil-herb mixture over medium-high, stirring occasionally. Once the herbs start crackling, about 1 minute, add peanuts and cook for 2 minutes or until a nice golden color. Then add the mushrooms and salt. Cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and the pan is dry again, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring often. Transfer the mushrooms to the bowl with the potatoes and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in the skillet. Add the shallots and cook until they are soft and just starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the dry white wine (or water) and stir to work in any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and scrape the shallots into the bowl with the mushrooms and potatoes. Add the cooked farro and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the ingredients together.
- Form the mixture into 10 patties. Place the panko crumbs in a shallow dish and press the top and bottom of each patty into the panko crumbs to evenly coat.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a clean large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 5 patties and cook on each side until nicely browned and crusty, 8 to 10 minutes total. Remove the patties from the skillet and place them on a plate. Repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil between batches if necessary. Serve hot with a lightly dressed green salad.
Total Fat: 29g
Saturated Fat: 6.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 38g
Dietary Fiber: 6.0g