Rhode Island Johnny Cakes
Similar to a pancake, Johnny Cakes (or “hoecakes” if you’re from the South) are a delicious cornmeal dish that make a wonderful breakfast.
- 1 cup Ground Corn Meal
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1/3 cup Whole Milk
- Mix cornmeal, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- On the stove, add milk and water to a pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat as soon as it starts to boil and stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Add the butter, stir and let rest 10 minutes.
- Pour small amount onto a griddle and cook 4 minutes or until done. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrate: 55g
Dietary Fiber: 5g