Free Range Chicken Borsch Potage
A delicious chicken dish all will enjoy!
- 1 qt Chicken Stock Low sodium
- 11 oz V8 Juice Low sodium
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock Low sodium
- 2 cups Whole Chicken Legs Cooked; Shredded
- 4 Raw Beets Medium-sized
- 1 cup Red Cabbage Soaked with cider vinegar; Finely sliced and macerated
- 1/2 cup Leek Finely minced
- 1/2 cup Celeriac Root Finely julienned
- 1/2 cup Onion Diced
- 1/2 cup Celery Finely sliced
- 1/2 cup Parsnips Finely sliced
- 1/2 cup Carrots Finely shredded
- 1/2 oz Fresh Ginger Finely minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Finely minced
- 2 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch As needed; Diluted with 4 tbsp of cold water
Combine chicken carcass, vegetable stock and V8 Juice.
Add chicken legs, beets, aromatics – bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 35-45 minutes, remove legs and allow to cool, covered.
Continue gentle simmering to almost cooked beets.
Remove the beets, rinse in cold water, remove peel.
Soak sliced red cabbage with cider vinegar, bring to simmer.
Remove skin, bones and fat from chicken legs.
Cut leg meat into one inch thick and shred. Save in refrigerator.
Grate peeled beets with a regular cheese grater.
Add olive oil into a 2 or 3 qt soup pot and heat.
Add all raw vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, parsnips, ginger, garlic…) except red cabbage.
“Sweat” gently over moderate heat to remove most of the acidity without browning. 15-20 minutes.
Adjust consistency with corn starch diluted in water. Add little at a time and check consistency.
Check and adjust seasonings as needed. Go slow; it is always easier to add than it is to remove excess.
- Total Fat:
- Saturated Fat:
- Total Carbohydrate:
- Dietary Fiber: