Our Recipe Guidelines for Cancer Nutrition
Kathy McManus, MS, RD
Director of Nutrition
Brigham and Women’s Hospital / Dana Farber Cancer Institute
Considerations for Recipe Development
- Create recipes that are easy to prepare and do not require a lot of effort and energy.
- Consider the aromas/smells that might arise when cooking.
- Use foods that are common, easy to source.
- Limit number of ingredients (ideally no more than 7).
- Use natural ingredients for the recipes.
- In the case of desserts – a small amount of a natural, plant based sweetener may be used (i.e. Stevia).
- Test all recipes prior to submitting.
- Each recipe should make 4 servings.
- Use household measures in your recipe (i.e. cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, etc).
- Use household equipment (blender or food processor).
- Avoid heating/cooking in microwave
General Guidelines for Recipes
- Include foods that have protein. Goal is 20g / serving.
- Include some vegetarian recipes that use plant based sources of protein (beans, nuts, legumes).
- Use foods that have a high nutrient content (variety of greens, whole grains, sweet potato, beans, legumes, nuts).
- Maximize the calories by using some healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil, nuts, etc). Goal is 500 calories/serving.