Another great high calorie, high protein dish.
- 1.5 Lb Stewing Beef Cubed into a medium dice
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 Carrots Peeled; Diced
- 2 Turnips Peeled; Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 3 Cups Beef Broth Low sodium
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. On the stove top, heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Toss the meat in flour to coat and sear off in the oil. When brown on all sides, remove with a slotted spoon on to a plate. Add onions, carrot, turnip, and garlic to the pot. Cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine being sure to scrape up all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, and beef stirring. Bring pot to a boil and cover.
- Place covered pot into heated oven and cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours.
- Remove from oven, discard bay leaf and stir to break up beef. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. If stew is too dry, add up to 1 cup additional broth.
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 3.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 13g
Dietary Fiber: 2g