Cumin-Scented Quinoa and Black Rice
Garnish this salad with avocado, lime, and pepitas.
- 1/2 Cup Short Grain Black Rice
- 1 Cup Red Quinoa Rinsed well
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil Divided
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Flat Leaf Parsley Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chives Cut into 1" pieces
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Avocado Peeled; Pitted
- 1 Lime Cut into wedges
- 1/2 Cup Pepitas Or pumpkin seeds
- Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine quinoa, bay leaf, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is tender, (about 15 minutes).
- Drain, return quinoa to hot saucepan. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf, fluff quinoa with a fork, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add to quinoa. Add rice and mix well.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cut avocado and limes into wedges. Garnish salad with avocado, lime, and pepitas.
Total Fat: 33g
Saturated Fat: 4.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 60g
Dietary Fiber: 9g